Sicily is in fact part of Italy and is the most important island within the Mediterranean with a number of sights that make it well-known.
This gorgeous island is among the twenty areas of Italy and is known for things like Mount Etna, The Roman Theatre of Taormina, in addition to the bustling metropolis of Palermo—which is an attraction in its personal proper and may positively be included in your Sicily itinerary.
Sicily is an island that has the proper mixture of lovely landscapes, incredible seashores, unimaginable delicacies in addition to one in every of Europe’s finest climates, so it’s no marvel that this island is a favourite amongst vacationers and holidaymakers.
So, allow us to present you what an 8 day Sicily itinerary may seem like.
Right here’s learn how to plan an eight day Sicily itinerary
Let’s begin off your Sicily journey in Palermo.
Day 1-3: Palermo
You’ll start your dream journey to Sicily, by beginning within the capital metropolis of Palermo which is known for its lovely fountains and wonderful piazzas. However largely for its unimaginable meals tradition—which is among the important causes you’re in Italy proper?
Sicilian delicacies is out of this world and attracts many individuals for that reason alone, and one of many main sights you can not overlook is the traditional La Vucciria food market. This market holds social significance inside the metropolis in addition to enjoying a central function right here. This iconic meals market is the place you may bask in all types of scrumptious and native road meals, expertise locals having fun with the dolce vita in addition to embrace the energetic ambiance, which makes this a standout spot.
To get right here, make your method to Piazza Caracciolo, Palermo anytime between 7 am and seven pm Monday – Saturday. Palermo is a perfect spot to attempt some well-known road meals akin to arancini (Italian rice balls) and sfincione (Sicilian pizza), in addition to take a cooking class to study the secrets and techniques behind these mouthwatering recipes. If you happen to’re feeling adventurous, be sure you attempt the well-known beef spleen sandwich referred to as pani ca meusa.
With full bellies, you’re able to tackle a few of Palermo’s finest sights over these few days.
- Cattedrale di Palermo: This spectacular Roman Catholic church dates again to 1185, and is a incredible constructing of nice significance inside the metropolis. It’s open Mon-Sat from 7am-7pm and Solar from 8am-7pm.
- Palazzo Dei Normanni: That is by far one of many best-preserved examples of Arabic-Norman-Byzantine structure and will be visited Mon-Sat from 8:30 am-4:30 pm and Solar from 8:30 am-12:30 pm.
- Teatro Massimo: The most important opera home in Italy and the third-largest on the earth.
If you end up with time in your arms and are on the lookout for extra issues to do, then ensure so as to add these optionally available sights to your record.
- St John of the Hermits: A medieval Norman church with spectacular Arab-Norman structure. You may go to Mon-Sat from 9:30am-6:30am and Solar from 9:30am-1:30pm.
- The Ballaro market: One other market to expertise extra scrumptious Sicilian meals in addition to clothes. You could find some mouthwatering fruit, cheeses, contemporary fish, and native greens. Mon-Sat 7:30 am-8:30pm/Solar 7:30am-2pm.
Day 3-5: Taormina
At present, you’ll go away Palermo and observe the north coast in the direction of Taormina, stopping off at Cefalu—a surprising hamlet by the ocean—earlier than persevering with to the east coast of the island. Taormina is a incredible resort city, which is unquestionably price a go to. In your first night, ensure to take a stroll down the bustling important road of Corso Umberto and decide a bar or restaurant to spend at for the night.
After dinner, why not soak up an open-air efficiency on the Greek Theatre which dates again to the third Century—assured to be an excellent expertise, in addition to present insatiable views of the well-known Mt Etna within the distance.
The subsequent day, there are a number of actions you may get pleasure from on this lovely coastal city, together with:
- Stress-free on one of many seashores akin to Isola Bella.
- Having fun with the panoramic view from Piazza IX Aprile, which has the perfect view of the town and Mt Etna and is, in fact, open 24 hours a day to get pleasure from.
- Chiesa Madonna Della Rocco for extra unimaginable metropolis and sea views, a peaceable haven to chill out and the proper spot to get pleasure from a glass of native wine. Mon-Solar 8:30am-7pm.
- Alcantara Gorge, which is a 50-minute drive from Taormina and is a geological marvel, in addition to the proper place to go to to see wonderful waterfalls and take a refreshing dip within the Alcantara River.
Spend your second night in Palermo listening to stay music and having fun with some scrumptious Italian delicacies on the town.
Tip: The Godfather followers can go to a couple of of the film’s movie areas within the city of Savoca, simply exterior Taormina, which was used because the fictional city of Corleone.
Day 5-6: Catania
After breakfast, you’ll go away Taormina and head to Catania. Nevertheless, you’ll in fact be stopping at one of the vital well-known sights on the island alongside the way in which–Mount Etna. This lively stratovolcano is the tallest volcano in Europe and attracts many guests to marvel on the sheer sight of this pure attraction. You may both tackle the Mt Etna path, which is round a 1-hour return and is of medium grade, or you may merely spend a while having fun with the views and the countless photograph alternatives earlier than persevering with to Catania.
Associated learn: The World’s Most Famous Volcanoes
Word: Whereas Italy is usually not an unsafe place to go to, try to be conscious of pickpockets and petty theft, particularly in touristy areas, so be vigilant and maintain your valuables in locations akin to this.
Catania is the second-largest metropolis in Sicily and is a spot that you simply simply can not overlook in your Sicily itinerary planning. When arriving, anticipate to be greeted by a incredible view of Mount Etna, which kinds the enduring backdrop of this gorgeous metropolis. Right here you’ll spend the night absorbing the ambiance of the town in all its glory, which is clear on the Piazza Duomo.
The next day you should have the entire day to discover the town’s sights, together with:
- Palazzo Biscari: Go to this marvelous palace for its unimaginable Catanese Baroque structure, full with gorgeous frescos. On condition that this historic location is now getting used for live shows, test their website for upcoming unmissable occasions. Mon-Solar 10am-1pm.
- The Cathedral of Catania: This lovely and historic cathedral is centrally positioned, so there isn’t any cause to overlook out on seeing the great baroque structure which makes this so well-liked. Be looking out for the domed roof, the columned facade, and the quite a few frescoes that may be admired for hours. Devoted to the patron saint of Catania, St Agatha, whose pageant is held from February 3rd – 5th. Mon-Sat 10:30am-12pm/4pm-5:30pm, closed Sundays.
Throughout your time sightseeing in Catania, ensure to refresh your self with a chilly and fruity beverage from one of many historic Catania kiosks which date again to the 1800s and are present in lots of the piazzas, particularly Piazza Umberto. Take pleasure in one other lovely night in Catania, with a scrumptious native dinner of Pasta Alla Norma (pasta and eggplant) and a surprising sundown over Mount Etna, as you soak up all you’ve encountered at this time, as a part of your 8 day Sicily itinerary.
Day 6-8: Siracusa
At present, after a contemporary and attractive Italian breakfast, alongside some world-famous espresso, you’ll set your self up for the day and make your method to Siracusa, which is a perfect spot to find its sights in addition to being near some main stop-off factors too. In your means right here, you may cease on the archeological web site of Agrigento, which is among the most vital historic websites on the entire island. After marveling on the varied mesmerizing ruins, you’ll proceed to Siracuse, the place extra journey awaits.
In your first day in Siracusa, you’ll get the possibility to find many issues, together with:
- The Fontana Diana on the Piazza Archimed: Relationship again to 1907, this can be a main characteristic within the metropolis of Siracusa, which is devoted to the Goddess, Diana.
- Ortigia, which is accessed by way of a bridge and is known for its unimaginable Baroque fashion Piazza del Duomo–among the finest in Italy.
In your second day in Siracusa, you’ll go to Modica, which is a haven for the candy tooth, on condition that it’s well-known for the Modica goodies—which you’ll be able to style and, in fact, take house. This city is famed for its lovely array of historic buildings, its chocolate museum, and its tiny slim, picturesque streets.
You’ll spend the remainder of the day as you please, wandering this lovely hilly city, earlier than making your means again to Catania on your final night in Sicily, closing off your incredible 8 day Sicily itinerary.